Friday, January 10, 2014

ANSWER: Newspaper

1956

Dear Abby’s first published column appeared on page 19 the San Francisco Chronicle on January 9, 1956:

Dear Abbey:* I have never written to a paper for advice before, but need help desperately and cannot talk to my family or friends about my problem. I am a private secretary to a well-known executive in the Bay Area. I have been employed by him for five years. You may think this sounds cheap, but we are deeply in love. His wife speaks to him only when she wants money and he has no respect or affection for her. He has told me repeatedly that I am the woman he loves but we can’t consider marriage because it would ruin him financially and socially. In addition to an excellent salary he has given me an automobile, a fur coat and he pays my rent. When he takes business trips I always go along. I am not getting any younger, yet feel one day he will make me his wife. What do you think? — CONFIDENT

DEAR CONFIDENT: I think your boss is a super salesman! He certainly did a terrific job when he convinced an intelligent girl like you to give up a decent respectable life of her own to be available when he whistles. Of course he won’t marry you. Why should he? He is getting the whole show for the price of the amusement tax.

Matt: --
Record: 613-511

No comments: